Sunday, February 13, 2005

The Definition of Love

"Are You God?"
One cold evening during the holiday season, a little boy about six or seven was standing out in front of a store window. The little child had no shoes and his clothes were mere rags. A young woman passing by saw the little boy and could read the longing in his pale blue eyes. She took the child by the hadn and led him into the store. There she bought him some new shoes and a complete suit of warm clothing.

They came back outside into the street and the woman said to the child, "Now you can go home and have a very happy holiday."
The little boy looked up at her and asked, "Are you God, Ma'am?"
She smiled down at him and replied, "No son, I'm just one of His children."
he little boy then said, "I knew you had to be some relation."

From Chicken Soup for the Women's Soul by Dan Clark
*****
This is juz one of the inspiring stories tt really caught my attention. It's short but my, does it hit you right in the face. Indeed we are related to God so we ought to reflect a little of His light in our lives. Another story I wld really like to share is this:

It was finally here-- Anna's wedding day, the day she had dreamed about and planned for months. The small, picturesque church was crowded with friends and family.

Sunlight pired through the stained-glass windows, and the gentle music of a string quartet filled the air. Anna walked down the aisle toward David. Joy surged within her. This was the moment for which she had waited so long. He gently took her hand, and they turned toward the alter.

But as the mininster began to lead Anna and David through their vows, the unthinkable happened. A girl stood up in the middle of the congregation, walked quietly to the alter, and took David's other hand. Another girl approached and stood next to the first, followed by another. Soon, a chain of siz girls stood by him as he repeated his vows to Anna.

Anna felt her lip begin to quiver as tears welled up in her eyes, "Is this some kind of joke?" She whispered to David.

"I'm...I'm sorry, Anna," he said, staring at the floor.

"Who are these girls, David? What is going on?" she gasped.

"They're girls from my past," he answered sadly. "Anna, they don't mean anything to me now...but I've given part of my heart to each of them."

"I thought your heart was mine," she said.

"It is, it is," he pleaded. "Everything that's left is yours."

A tear rolled down Anna's cheek. Then she woke up.

From I Kiss Dating Goodbye
*****
This story seriously gave me some cause to ponder upon. It's sad but true tt we all have pasts, what is most hurting is tt some pasts may come back to hurt the present and haunt the future. Will there ever be a last heartbreak? Will there ever be a love that lasts? Of course there is always God's great love, but what abt love in the romantic sense. I always used to wonder why God gave us people to love when He wants us to commit ourselves to Him alone. It's hard. Sometimes I don't even know whether it's right for me to love a person so much when we are supposed to love God with everything tt we have. Sigh...sometimes i even feel guilty for loving a mere mortal more than i feel i can love God. It's juz tt, the passion we have for a person, is not easy to quench...but sigh, why is it tt the passion I have for God seem to be ever so fleeting. It really annoys me tt I don't have the same capacity to love God as i love a mere mortal who is so much more ugly and susceptible to hurting me than He.
I simply cannot grasp this. Why oh Lord did you give me somebody to love, are you not jealous of my love for him? Can you see where it will bring me? But indeed the Lord can see the panoramic picture while we can only see a fragment of each scene. Sigh...this thing called love...are there many definitions to it? I used to think there was but maybe not anymore. So why do most adults see teens falling in love as something tt is fleeting? Haha what with titles like puppy love, crushes...I don't know but I feel it's quite hurting to degrade one's affections in such a way. Then again...all around me, people seem to be breaking up all the time. The once golden couples are nothing more than juz strangers. Some are luckier...friendship is the next option. Isn't love a very simple ideal? So where did all the other branches come from? We must have created it then, sigh as Man we always seem to take something and subject it to degradation...
Oh dear...wonder where this sudden bout of thoughts come from...but wellz, so far i'm still abiding to hoping, praying and waiting for the Lord to align my desires to His perfect will. Then again i always forget, Not by my will but by thine. So no matter what praise God!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?